Creative Kristi

has been moved to new address

http://www.creativekristi.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Creative Kristi: How to Make Hummus

Creative Kristi

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

How to Make Hummus

Ok we’re going to completely gloss over the fact that I didn’t do a WIDTW (What I Did This Weekend) post yet again this week. Why? Because I really didn’t do much that I can blog about (since I don’t share pics of the kiddos on here and all that jazz).
Ok moving on. Today I have a photo tutorial for how to make your own homemade hummus!
Making Hummus is actually very easy & I do it about once every two weeks! It saves a lot of money because the size container I fill cost me at least $4 in the store!

Ready to make your own homemade hummus?(Psst: you will also find close ups of my painted countertops in these pictures! Just in case you wanted to see more detail!)

Here is the picture tutorial:
You will need:
1 can of Chick Peas
Lemon Juice
Olive Oil
3-5 cloves of garlic (or some garlic powder if you want)
Red Pepper Flakes (or whatever ingredient you need to make the flavor of your choice.
Food processor or blender or good old fashioned muscle/potato masher (notice I am using the worlds tiniest food processor-its for making baby food actually)
Note: If you have tahini on hand put some in too but if you don’t no big deal! You can also substitute sesame oil for the olive oil if you want.

Ok lets get started:
1. Open, drain & rinse your chick peas. Place in your food processor.
Chick Peas in homemade hummus
2. Add a little bit of lemon juice. I always eyeball this but its like 1/8 of a cup.
Lemon Juice in homemade hummus
3. Add your cloves of garlic...more if you want a stronger garlic flavor- less if you want less. If you are using garlic powder I don't know the conversions so you'll have to either go for it & see how much you like or Google the conversions lol
Garlic in homemade hummus
4. Run your food processor a little to mix it all and start creaming the chick peas. Add your flavoring.
Red Pepper in homemade hummus
5. Run your food processor & stream in your olive oil until you get the texture/creaminess you want. I can't stream in while my food processor is running so I add a little, process, add a little, process etc. until I get there. You may have to stop a few times and scrape the sides of the food processor bowl to make sure it’s all getting mixed/creamed evenly.
Olive Oil in homemade hummus
6. Place your hummus in a container and refrigerate. I washed out an old hummus container and my homemade fits perfectly in it!
Homemade Hummus

That's it for homemade hummus!
Other Flavorings you can add are:
  • Roasted Red Peppers
  • Feta Cheese
  • Jalapeños
  • Sun-dried tomatoes
  • Parsley
  • Ground Cumin
  • Plain black pepper
Have fun with it and enjoy!
Have a Happy Day,

If you like what you are reading please consider subscribing by clicking here:image

None of the brands featured in this post have paid me or provided me with product to review. All opinions are my own and I bought all the ingredients/supplies myself.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment! I love getting feedback on my projects since my family doesn't give it ;)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home