Creative Kristi

has been moved to new address

http://www.creativekristi.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Creative Kristi: Wedding Gifts

Creative Kristi

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Wedding Gifts

Today I'm sharing some wedding gifts & card I made for some friends this past fall.

First I etched their initial on a large vase using etching cream. Here is a little mini tutorial to show you how anything you can print off your computer can be etched into glass:
Supplies:
Vase, scissors, etching cream, print out of letter (or simple picture), exacto knife, tape, something to burnish the edges of your contact paper (I used a craft stick), any type of contact paper (I used a sheet of clear), and glass cleaner (I used my 1/2 vinegar, 1/2 water mixture).

Clean your surface completely then dry. Place your clear contact paper on the surface keeping it larger than your image. Next you want to lay your printout exactly where you want it and tape it in place over the contact paper. Then here comes the *fun* part- carefully cut your image out using your exacto knife and lift away the part you want to be etched. Remove the rest of the computer paper and burnish (rub) the edges where you just cut the contact paper to make sure they are sealed down tight.


Follow the directions on your specific etching cream bottle (mine told me to lay it on pretty thick and leave it on for about 20 minutes). Whatever you do- do not get this on your skin!! Wear gloves & work outside. I left it on the required amount of time but when I used the hose to rinse it off I wasn't really happy so I re-did it to get more etching. (another note- I wouldn't rinse it off inside in a sink...it might harm your pipes)

Ta-da! How expensive and classy does that look? I LOVE it and will be etching just about everything I can get my hands on when winter is over and I can be outside again!! :)

Ok Next onto the rest of the presents:

I framed the invitation they sent us in a floating glass frame. Which apparently was a HUGE hit because they had forgotten to save one for themselves. Score one for me!



I also used their first initials, stamps & tissue paper to make custom 'embossed' candles.
To do this get a candle, matching tissue paper (I used white candles & white tissue paper), stamps, ink & a heat gun (maybe you could use a hairdryer but I've never tried it- if you do let me know if it works!)
So stamp your image on the tissue paper, cut it out pretty close to the image and lay it on your candle. Next heat up the candle and watch as the wax melts and makes the tissue paper "disappear". You can see it half finished in the candle on the left below and fully done on the candle on the right (I used different colored ink for each candle so don't be scared that your ink color will change)

And then the card I made to go with the gift:



So there you go a complete wedding present done for under $15 that looks like a million bucks!


Have a good rest of the week!
-Kristi

Labels: , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At January 26, 2010 at 6:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome stuff kristi - if your interested maybe you could check out my blog and follow it for updates and whatnot....

http://www.topnotcheats.blogspot.com

 
At January 27, 2010 at 3:13 PM , Blogger Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

What great ideas! You can never go wrong doing some type of cute monogram project as a wedding gift and yours are fantastic.

 
At February 1, 2010 at 12:53 PM , Blogger Kim at Polka Dot Thought said...

Cute ideas and a monogram for a wedding occasion is ALWAYS a perfect idea!

 
At February 16, 2010 at 12:41 PM , Anonymous Shauna said...

Beautiful ideas that I'm sure were well received. It's always great to see that hand made and inexpensive can turn out amazing.

 

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment! I love getting feedback on my projects since my family doesn't give it ;)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home