Creative Kristi

has been moved to new address

http://www.creativekristi.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Creative Kristi: Nesting.....

Creative Kristi

Monday, February 1, 2010

Nesting.....

I am in full on nesting mode and it's happening much earlier in my pregnancy then with my first child. (I'm only 22 weeks!) While I love the extra ideas and plans floating around in my head and the energy that helps to make some of those projects come to life...I don't think hubby shares my enthusiasm. Oh well, he humors me.
So first up is something that has been BUGGING me since I moved in: Two sconces (one on each side of the fireplace mantle) that match the sconces my parents had/have in their bathroom while I was growing up.I'm not a fan and I'm totally not a fan of feeling like I'm in my parents bathroom while I'm in my own living room! haha! So this weekend I fixed it!

Using this: Rust-Oleum American Accents Metallic spray paint in "Oil Rubbed Bronze"

Taped off around the fixture (& taped the part where the bulb goes in and where you turn it on)
Sprayed two coats, added the bulb back & then added a little clip-on chandelier shade to finish it.

Can I just say: LOVE IT!! Love love love love love it!

So apparently that didn't fix my 'nesting' instinct for long because now I want to use this post by Our Suburban Cottage blog to take my hatred for all things brass out on this:

My fireplace surround. *sigh* this is the best picture I could get & it's pretty fitting that the sun GLARING off of it is abundantly clear.
Anyway, because I have to wait until the little one is in bed to paint it I decided to enlist the help of hubby in peeling up some ugly peel & stick tiles in our bathroom. They were put in by previous owners about 10 years ago.

Here is our bathroom 'before' (keep in mind I am standing in the hallway to take this picture-that's how TINY our bathroom is)
Note: The floor is clean in this picture-it's just not a great color lol...also note the over abundance of caulk around the bottom of the sink too....will be fixing that with my new caulk remover ;)

Here we are 'in progress' The hairdryer worked great in making the tiles pliable enough to peel up.
Beneath the tiles is original hardwood floors that are in pretty decent shape...just painted green. I have an idea for how to make 'em look good AND be sealed properly against water damage without spending a lot of money. Let it be known I would much rather have a crew come in, remove the fixtures, rip up the floor, lay a new sub floor and tile then replace the fixtures. But that's not in the budget right now...and since its our only bathroom if we ever do that we need it to be a warm season outside so that using the rented port-a-potty wouldn't freeze our bums off! Lol!

Anyway. I'm nesting and there are more projects that apparently I NEED to have done before the baby comes so please send loving thoughts to my husband as he *patiently* deals with my prego nesting hormones.
-Kristi

Visit thecsiproject.com

Labels: , , , , ,

9 Comments:

At February 1, 2010 at 5:02 PM , Blogger AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

Oh my gosh! I can't believe how amazing that light looks. It went from an icky bathroom light to a swanky wall sconce. Bravo!

Good luck with those floors. I don't envy that project one bit, but I'll bet they'll be beautiful when you're finished with them.

 
At March 17, 2010 at 11:12 AM , Blogger Natalie said...

I have that same hideous brass fireplace surround. I've been so tempted to attack it with some spray paint, but the hubby keeps arguing with me.

 
At May 25, 2010 at 12:39 PM , Blogger Angie Holden said...

Love that fixture now!!

 
At May 25, 2010 at 12:48 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

it amazes me that brass used to be cool, but now completely offends my senses. your sconces look great now!
i'm here from csi.

 
At May 27, 2010 at 6:20 PM , Blogger Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Wow! That looks like a completely new light fixture. That is impressive! (ORB is a wonder-paint.)

 
At May 27, 2010 at 11:21 PM , Blogger Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

It looks great! I have so much gold going on at my house. I have been meaning to spray my fixtures but haven't got around to it yet. Thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks so much for linking up to the CSI Project! We really appreciate it. I hope you will come back next week for our Hardware Store challenge!

XOXO
Jen

 
At August 17, 2010 at 11:06 AM , Blogger Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

It's amazing that you took that brassy sconce from tacky 80s to a neat, modern chic industrial look. I love it!!!! Visiting from The CSI Project! :)

 
At August 17, 2010 at 2:38 PM , Blogger Josalyn said...

Oh the nesting :) It's nice that your husband seems so understanding about it. Mine won't let me touch anything!

 
At August 17, 2010 at 3:10 PM , Blogger Annieofbluegables said...

I LOVE spray paint. I never knew before all these links that we could do so much with such a small can. :D
~a

 

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment! I love getting feedback on my projects since my family doesn't give it ;)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home