Creative Kristi

has been moved to new address

http://www.creativekristi.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Creative Kristi: White Washed Brick

Creative Kristi

Friday, February 26, 2010

White Washed Brick

So my fireplace is about as done as it can get for right now! I only say that because it would be 100% done if I could decide on what type of mantel I want to add. Right now we have a mantle of brick but I would like to build a wood 'cover' to make it wider and more substantial.

Anyway here is what it looks like now:
 
Sorry the photos aren't the best but my computer isn't liking my camera card right now so these come from my iPhone. See how I didn't white wash the top brick? That's the mantle so it'll all get covered up anyway. I am so happy with it- even if it does look a little pink in direct sunlight! haha!
Here is a close up of the paint finish:

Also while this whole brass fixture/red brick makeover was taking place we added a new pet to our house. Since Lil Man loves fish we got him one and he named him Hollis (where he got this name I do not know haha). Hollis lives on the mantle so that Lil Man can see him all day everyday!

And just because I love a good before and after- here is a picture (the only full fireplace shot I could find!) I took two Christmas' ago of the fireplace before:

And again the After:
 

So much better don't you think?
A little info about the paint: 
 I used a little quart of Behr Swiss Coffee and poured a bit in a paint pan then added the same amount of water and mixed them together. I used a brush to put it on the bricks and then a cut up flannel pillowcase to wipe some off. Easy Peasy! 
If you have questions about the paint or process used on the lights & fireplace surround check out these posts.

That's it for today! Happy Friday!




I am linking up to Thrifty Decor Chick's Before & After Party!   

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At February 26, 2010 at 10:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the new fireplace....it is a pretty neat effect....

hey,
do you know the best way to find out how to replace the needle on your sewing machine? I have an old kenmore ultra stitch 6 and I cant find the size needle I need to replace it with.

 
At February 28, 2010 at 2:50 PM , Anonymous Kristi @ Creative Kristi said...

Hey Kaleena,
I'm not sure where to find specific needle sizes but my best guess would be to take an old (or broken) needle into Jo-Ann's to either the sewing section or the ladies at the sewing store that is inside of Jo-Ann's and see if you can find a pack of 'universal' needles that will fit. If you don't have the needle then I would just buy a pack of universal needles that look close and try them out. :) Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

 
At March 8, 2010 at 2:40 PM , Blogger Jen C. said...

It looks awesome! Way to be brave and shake it up!

 

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment! I love getting feedback on my projects since my family doesn't give it ;)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home