Creative Kristi

has been moved to new address

http://www.creativekristi.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Creative Kristi: Sewing Baby Things!

Creative Kristi

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Sewing Baby Things!

Hello all! Here's post #2 about all the baby items I've been sewing! No tutorials today- just sharing! :) I would say I am 'done' sewing for now but I keep finding more projects I want to try (I'll list the links to everything that is still on my list at the bottom of the post.).

Here is everything laid out on my table...makes me smile!

First I dyed some onesies & a couple old t-shirts (you'll see where I used those in a minute!)


Then I made 4 bassinet sheets for my bassinet that is an odd size & the store bought sheets are $15 EACH! So I took apart an old dust ruffle & used the center part for the 4 sheets! I used the measuring instructions from here to figure out the size I needed then followed the tutorial. They are super snug and I'm confident they will work great!

Then I did some freezer paper stenciling (two different tutorials at those links-both good!) on a t-shirt for Little Man & on a Onesie for the baby. Then I went a step further and used some of the t-shirt I dyed earlier and made a onesie dress using this tutorial. I think they came out SO cute! The font for the words is called 'Pupcat'. The turtle and bird images are from an animal font that replaces the letter with an animal that starts with that letter- sorry I don't have the name!

You've already seen the burp cloths.

I made some baby legs (like I did here) about a week after I found out it was a girl...so I've been hiding these since January! I should go check out the knee high socks at Target again to find some 'summer-y' socks for more baby legs!

Next I used some fabric I had laying around (it's a thick almost outdoor fabric) and a towel to make a HUGE travel changing pad (No tutorial: I just cut the fabric and towel to the size I wanted sewed them right sides together leaving a space to turn it right side out. Next I topstitched all the way around closing the space I used to turn it). My son outgrew the length of the store bought ones really quickly and the width was never wide enough for me. I want to cover the whole icky changing table surface in the restrooms thankyouverymuch.  Anyway the picture above is of it folded in thirds (I fold it in half again to put it in the diaper bag) and the picture below is of it folded out.


Last is my version of the Baby Life Quilt. I saw this tutorial and I knew I had to make this blanket! I didn't do the 'quilting' part- just little tacks of yellow satin stich randomly on the blanket. I also just did a border of scrappy strips- no binding. I sewed this blanket just like I described for the changing pad- right sides together with batting in there too. Turned it and sewed up the opening.  Here's a few closer pictures of the blanket. I LOVE it!
The pink letters were more of that t-shirt I dyed, the white is part of the dust ruffle I used for the bassinet sheets and the yellow is just a bit of the backing fabric that I had left over from when I made curtains for my family's camp. The green background is actually a sheet that I had made into a duvet cover in college but isn't my style anymore so I cut it up for this! :)

So there you have it for now ;) I didn't have to buy much to make all these projects. I bought the scrappy strips of fabric in a 'jelly roll' type thing for the the quilt, the RIT dye for the projects using that, the t-shirt and onesie for the freezer paper stencil projects, the knee high socks for the baby legs and the diapers for the burp cloths. All the other supplies I already had.

Hope you have a good weekend! Starting on June 3rd I have a few guest posts (What I'm calling "Baby Time Guest Posts") because I'm hoping to go into labor any minute and these ladies were kind enough to write some posts for me so that I can recover and adjust to life with two kiddos!




Here is what is still on my 'list' to sew/make:
Baby Tights
Car Seat Tent (using more of that green sheet)
Changing Pad cover  (ditto on the green sheet)
Summer hat
Swaddle blanket  (I'm waiting on making this because Little Man hated to be swaddled so who knows what this baby will like?)

Also: there are plenty of baby girl dresses that I'm dying to make but they pretty much all require you to measure your baby...kind of hard right now since I'm still pregnant so those will come later! :)


SYS Thurs

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At May 27, 2010 at 10:25 AM , Blogger Katie @ BurbTales said...

Kristi you have the cutest ideas. I need to learn to sew apparently! I think my favorite is the blanket. It reminds me of a lot of the homemade blankets I had as a little girl. (One was made out of that groovy hot pink, hot yellow, and blue camouflage fabric. Very cool)

 
At May 27, 2010 at 11:14 AM , Blogger GroverFamily said...

i love the baby blanket!

 
At June 2, 2010 at 5:37 AM , Anonymous Abigail said...

I love the 'Big brother' tee - what a cute idea!

Congratulations on your impending arrival :D

 
At June 15, 2010 at 10:22 AM , Anonymous baby gifts said...

I love all those baby stuffs. I hope I know also how to sew so I can make such beautiful projects for my little darling. ;)

 
At July 21, 2010 at 10:22 AM , Blogger Jaedyn said...

I'm LOVING all of this baby stuff! You are really inspiring. :)

 

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment! I love getting feedback on my projects since my family doesn't give it ;)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home