Creative Kristi

has been moved to new address

http://www.creativekristi.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Creative Kristi: Baby Time Guest Post: Saving the Family Money

Creative Kristi

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Baby Time Guest Post: Saving the Family Money



Today we have a fun tutorial from Karen at Saving the Family Money! Please be sure to visit her site because she has a ton of informative posts and plenty of great reading for you to do! Here she is:


Simple and easy steps to turn old picture frames into beautiful fabric covered bulletin boards.
frames
The 2 picture frames and the gold shelf above I purchased at a garage sale for super cheap. I took out the pictures and glass and spray painted the frames and shelf black. This is the same wall that I took the before picture on, but I have since painted over the thin coat of builders paint. This is the hallway between the kitchen and the garage where everyone passes when coming and going. It will be a great place to put reminders and schedules!
BBafter
Ok are you ready for me to tell you how easy it is to do? I decided I wanted to do a magnetic board because a cork board would mean I'd be putting holes in the fabric and I didn't want to do that. I went to JoAnn Fabric to look for inspiration fabric. I found these 2 coordinating fabrics and the best part is I was able to use a coupon on one of them and the other was a remnant fabric so it was discounted. I wanted it to look like artwork even if there was nothing displayed on it. Then I headed out to my favorite Home Depot where they accept competitor coupons, and got my supplies. You will need a piece of zinc-coated steel (aluminum and stainless steel will not hold magnets). I took a few magnets with me and the fabric so I could make sure it was going to work. You'll need heavy duty magnets and you should be able to buy these at the hardware store as well. My husband thinks it's funny that the Manager who was assisting me, didn't even know they carried magnets. I graciously showed him where they were..hehe. Now I chose a large piece that I could cut to size at home. It was cheaper than buying 2 smaller ones. Your hardware store might cut it to size for you if you take in your measurements or even the frame you will be using. If you do it yourself, you'll need a pair of scissors that will cut metal. They sell these for about $10 or you can borrow a pair from your sister. Thanks sis! I laid out the cardboard backing to the original picture frames and used them as a template to measure the cuts. BBTemplate BBcut Now you can begin your cuts. Remember it's always better to cut a piece too big and trim later, than cut it too small and waste a piece. You may want to use gloves for this part. Cut metal is sharp and I for one didn't want a cut! Once it's cut you'll want to place it inside your frame to make sure it fits. Mine was a little large so I had to trim some off of one side. BBfit BBfabric Cut your fabric so you have about a 1-2 inch overhang all around the metal. I used spray adhesive to adhere the fabric. I started with a small piece on the back to get it lined up exactly the way I wanted it. Then I flipped it over and sprayed about 5 inches of metal at a time and laid down the fabric. This is where you have to be very careful because the adhesive is strong and you don't want any air bubbles or wrinkles. You might get someone to help you if you are working with a large piece. The only thing left is to place it inside the frame, secure it, then hang! I'm so excited about how well it turned out. I have not decided what to put on the shelf yet. Please let me know if you have any questions. I've also made cute teacher appreciation gifts that were a BIG hit.
BBafter1






Aren't those great? And EASY! Thanks so much Karen! 

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment! I love getting feedback on my projects since my family doesn't give it ;)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home